Efficient Market Hypothesis (EMH) theory states that stock prices are basically driven ‘news’ type of information. And social media platforms offer unique features to communicate directly and immediately with any individual or corporate. A number of studies and surveys have revealed that stock markets are very sensitive to any news and social media acts as a catalyst to spread news and opinions. With the high speed of news spread, large amplification of its reach and increasing propensity of general public to consume data over social platform, social media is likely to have a great impact on the capital market.
- Netflix Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX)
- Apple Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL)
- Twitter Inc. (NYSE: TWTR)
- Domino's Pizza, Inc (NYSE: DPZ)
- Audience Inc. (NASDAQ:ADNC)
- United Airlines, subsidiary of United Continental Holdings Inc (NYSE:UAL)
- Associated Press (AP) and Dow Jones industrial average (DJIA)